Napoleon Series Archive 2018

Re: Napoleon's Greatest Foe
In Response To: Napoleon's Greatest Foe ()

While I agree that many of the memoirs are overrated as historical sources I would dispute that this makes the authors, or pseudo-authors, Napoleon's greatest enemies. The Black Legend does not come from those sources but from royalist propaganda. Marmont and Remusat are not, in fact, particularly hostile. I have already pointed out many times that Napoleon's own correspondence gives a much blacker picture of his nature and activities than any memoir-writer.

When you blame those who turned on Napoleon in 1814 you must consider that those of his own generation or older had, like himself, already sworn allegiance to any number of leaders and constitutions and broken their oaths according to circumstances. They would have probably claimed that it was in the interest of their country but if so, getting rid of Napoleon in 1814 could also be considered as in the interests of the country. It was down to Napoleon's misjudgements, to put it kindly, that the Russians were in Paris, something unknown under the monarchy.

Susan

Messages In This Thread

Boney's greatest foe
Re: Boney's greatest foe
Re: Boney's greatest foe
Napoleon's Greatest Foe