Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Wellington and Villiers (in 1811)

Ron,

Once again, many thanks. Indeed, as you say, I’m working on the assumption that Villiers was not present in any official capacity – otherwise why would W think he needed to inform V in such detail - but it is intriguing that Wellington would be writing to him I think (as you say, providing a summary of issues that apprise V of the situation over the preceding months in relation to the principal Sousa)
Perhaps it may suggest that W had a higher opinion of V’s abilities (and perhaps the possibility that he could yet help to bring about W’s ultimate objective and his perceived solution to many of the contemporary Anglo-Portuguese differences – i.e. the dismissal of the principal Sousa from the regency council
I don’t think it’s worth pursuing further – unless something of importance arises out of my reading – but thanks once again for your efforts – much appreciated
BTW - I have ordered the Phd thesis referred to above to try to get a better grasp of the contemporary Portuguese perspective. The account in Soriano, vol iii, pp 123-144 and particularly his justificatory remarks on (some might say “defence” of) Sousa’s actions are very interesting but I would like some further, informed comments on the above over and above that to be found in Oman, vol iii, pp 415-418

Best wishes

Anthony

Messages In This Thread

Villiers, Stuart, Wellington and Liverpool (1811)
Re: Villiers, Stuart, Wellington and Liverpool (18
Re: Villiers, Stuart, Wellington and Liverpool (18
Stuart replaces Villiers (February 1810)
Re: Stuart replaces Villiers (February 1810)
Re: Stuart replaces Villiers (February 1810)
Villiers, Wellesley(s), D'Alorna & Beresford
Re: Villiers, Wellesley(s), D'Alorna & Beresford
Wellington and Villiers (in 1811)
Re: Villiers, Wellesley(s), D'Alorna & Beresford
Colonel Bayley, Lisbon April 1809
Re: Colonel Bayley, Lisbon April 1809
Many thanks for generous help
George Canning and his Friends. 2 Vols.