Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Pere Lachaise - Gen Junot evades capture

In reference to a recent post, I recently visited Pere Lachaise Cemetery in Paris and did very well in finding so many Napoleonic tombs for my research.

However, I was rather frustrated at failing to find the grave of General Andoche Junot (Duke d'Abrantes), particularly as I wrote a book about him (Wellington Against Junot) in 2011. This wasn't due to lack of searching but eventually the failing light and desire for a glass of Leffe got the better of me and I left.

My discovery of the following link with a photo of Junot's grave made me feel slightly better and I think it's understandable that I walked straight past it - https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/9009169/andoche-junot

Although an expensive memorial by today's standards, I think it's relative plainness compared to those of other generals and marshals of empire is explained by his debts of 1,400,000 Francs at the time of his death, which left his wife Laure impoverished. I think I can be forgiven for missing that inscription too, which is almost eroded by the elements. Considering Junot's flamboyant cavalry officer's lifestyle, it is a shame his family could not afford a monument matching his achievements.

Hopefully, I'll be able to visit Paris again soon (equipped with this photo) to pay my respects!

Messages In This Thread

Pere Lachaise - Gen Junot evades capture
Junot evades justice ...
Re: Junot evades justice ...
Re: Pere Lachaise - Gen Junot evades capture
Portugal: a "nation in arms"