Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Re: Coming-Killing Napoleon
In Response To: Coming-Killing Napoleon ()

I will definitely buy and read this book when it is available. But...

The title is unfortunately in the same style as the National Enquirer/Daily Mail schlock penne by Bill O'Reilly--Killing Lincoln, Killing Jesus, and so forth--which brings forth a lot of images that will make many US readers cringe, given O'Reilly's reputation.

The other problem is that Bonaparte was not Napoleon on December 24, 1800. I get that readers instinctively "know" Napoleon much more than they would know Bonaparte. Still, it's a historical detail that is bothersome.

The blurb is more purple than accurate. I don't know a thing about this publisher, but if Amberley's PR folks wrote the blurb, they should be given a first warning. First Consul Bonaparte was not the "most powerful and powerful man in the world in December 1800 by anyone's standards, not even his own, I dare say. And the rather ham-fisted attempt to make the Infernal Machine relevant to 20th-century terrorism is not only unnecessary--people then certainly did not think in terms of terrorism and collateral damage--but also another example of the woeful tendency to apply a layer of 21st-century sensibilities and viewpoints over the actual sensibilities and views of the period in question. Lamentable, and unnecessary.

I'm a critic. I simply can't help it. However, in this case, I think the author is too solid a writer and researcher to be potentially diminished in the slightest by some of these external issues.

On the other hand, it might well just be me...

Messages In This Thread

Coming-Killing Napoleon
Secret War