Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Re: Nelson's crime
In Response To: Re: Nelson's crime ()

I've just finished reading my copy (I did get it for my birthday). Congratulations on a well-researched work. It is strange to see the shady Italian Cardinal and the heroic British officer opposed to each other with the moral high ground being held by the former. It is curious that the episode was known, and judged, in England and in the fleet without it seriously denting Nelson's reputation.

I think you have taken Thiebault too much on board when considering the French side of affairs: there is a lot more that can be said on the side of the Directory over their dealings with Championnet, it was part of a power struggle between 'the toga and the sword' (which could only end one way) and the civil agents like Faipoult have been much maligned. The jacobin-style government set up by Championnet was considered corrupt and incompetent after only two months - which may be some sort of record - and Abrial (the only character everyone approves of ) was sent in to reorganise it on Directorial lines. Removing generals accused of financial impropriety was part of the clean-up what ever Thiebault claimed. Duhesme had previous form in this respect on the Rhine and was later disgraced over his conduct at Barcelona.

Regards,

Susan

Messages In This Thread

Nelson's crime