Napoleon Series Archive 2017

Re: Robert Parker of the 76th
In Response To: Re: Robert Parker of the 76th ()

That is very interesting. Parker's eldest brother Thomas had served for three years in the Life Guards (which was obviously far more expensive in every way than a line regiment of foot like the 76th), yet when Robert Parker indicated that he wished to abandon his position as a clerk in articles to an attorney, Thomas told him that, ‘I consider a younger son has not any business in that profession except he has a tolerable fortune to support it with … [and without it] he had better return to the Profession he as wished perhaps hastily to leave.’ (Thomas Parker to his mother Elizabeth, 15 July 1808, quoted in French & Rothery Man’s Estate p 120).

This a subject on which I have been doing a good deal of research in the last couple of years - I'm writing a book on the position of younger sons of good families, their need for a career (because they didn't inherit much, with the estate generally going to their eldest brother) and the limited options they had: the army, the Navy, the Church, the Law and a few others, and the prospects they faced in each of these careers.

But I didn't expect that poor old Robert Parker would be such a perfect example.

Messages In This Thread

Robert Parker of the 76th
Re: Robert Parker of the 76th *LINK*