Napoleon Series Archive 2019

Re: Organization of the Brunswick Corps in late 18

Oli,

Further to my last post, I also have authorised establishment details for the Duke of Brunswick Oels Regiment of Cavalry (which is what the British documents call them).

This shows the Cavalry Regiment first appearing on 25 December 1809. Their establishment always showed 6 identical Troops. Each Troop had 1 Captain, 1 Lieutenant, 1 Cornet (Cavalry equivalent of Ensign), 1 Troop Sergeant Major, 5 Sergeants, 5 Corporals, 95 Privates and 1 Trumpeter. There were 15 officers and sergeants in the headquarters (1 Colonel, 1 Lieutenant Colonel, 2 Majors, 1 Quartermaster, 1 Paymaster, 1 Adjutant, 1 Surgeon, 2 Assistant Surgeon, 1 Veterinary Surgeon, 1 Sergeant Major, 1 Pay Sergeant, 1 Armourer Sergeant, 1 Saddler Sergeant) a total of 675 in the Regiment. A note said that they had 4 supernumerary Captains and 9 supernumerary Cornets.

On 25 December 1810 they received a post of Trumpet Major (equivalent to Sergeant) with a compensating reduction in the number of Trumpeters, as did all British Cavalry Regiments on that same date. On 25 December 1812 they received an additional post of Schoolmaster Sergeant (as did all British Cavalry Regiments on that same date). They are still shown with this same establishment on 25 December 1815, but then notes show 2 Troops disbanded on 24 February 1816 followed by the Headquarters and the remaining 4 Troops being disbanded on 24 June 1816.

This is of course a quite different unit to the Brunswick Cavalry Regiment which took part in the Waterloo Campaign.

The establishments show the maximum which the various units should consist of, but of course they may have had less in practice.

As far as the Infantry is concerned, I think I took the 1809 organisation in North Germany from one of the Ospreys on "The Black Brunswickers" (I have the earlier and later editions of these) which showed two Line Battalions and a Light Battalion (the latter of Jaegers and Sharpshooters). I think it said that there were four large companies in each battalion, but I do not have those books with me in Spain. I may have assumed that the Light Battalion followed the 1815 Avantgarde pattern of 2 Jaeger and 2 Sharpshooter Companies, but understand from your post that it was probably 3 Jaeger and 1 (green uniformed) Sharpshooter.

Rod

Messages In This Thread

Organization of the Brunswick Oels in 1810
Re: Organization of the Brunswick Oels in 1810
ADMIN! Re: Organization of the Brunswick Oels in 1810
ADMIN! Re: Organization of the Brunswick Oels in 1810
Re: Organization of the Brunswick Oels in 1810 *LINK*