Napoleon Series Archive 2009

Fact or Fiction?

Caroline,

No particular reason why there shouldn’t be a focus on relevant fiction – but I would argue that you have to take into account exactly what the commemorations are intended to achieve - and whether the choice of works is relevant.

I have not read “ El Rei Junot” (Raul Brandão), however like another work by the same author “A vida e morte de Gomes Freire [de Andrade]” there is a vague connection to the period. These two works, as far as I can gather, are neither history nor fiction. However, the real point I think is that neither have any tangible nor direct connection with the Lines of Torres Vedras. The plot for El Rei Junot is set I think, as one would assume from the title, in 1807 – I don’t think it extends to his participation in the third French invasion. I also imagine, again as I have not read it, that it is a work of polemic. Now it may be that the presenters of the seminar / workshop address some of the complicated issues, controversies, and perhaps also refutations, underlying the plots of these works. We’ll have to wait and see. We know about Sharpe; his exploits have been discussed on this forum. But where's the connection with the two works cited with "the lines". The final work, I think, deals with the experiences of Spanish troops serving France (in Russia). In relation to all of the works, the question that I would ask is: what is their relevance / connection to the Lines of Torres Vedras and the period 1810-11?

A work that does look of interest to me, that I have come across whilst looking into some of the issues involved in the construction of “the lines”, and which does not appear in any of the bibliographies I’ve viewed (in English works at least), is: Manuel Agostinho Madeira Torres, Descripção Histórica e Económica da Villa e Termo de Torres Vedras, 2ª edição anotada, 1862, (1º edição em 1819). It may be (though) that it is listed in Norris and Bremner's work on “The Lines of Torres Vedras”, Lisbon 1986. I believe there is a more comprehensive Portuguese version (perhaps with the assistance of a translator) - but as yet have viewed neither. Now if we had some contemporary accounts of what life was really like for Portuguese people at the time (I have only read those presented in Soriano's "history") this would be of great interest I think.

Perhaps also consideration could be given to one of the most influential men of his time, and someone who has a very real connection with the development and implementation of the plan(s) for the defence of Portugal, Dom Miguel Pereira Forjaz. Forjaz was undoubtedly the strongest supporter of the range of military and administrative reforms that were implemented, was instrumental in the recruitment and mobilisation of Portuguese armed forces, and (probably) without whom the defence of Portugal could not have been possible. In particular, during the period when "the lines" were under construction and during the third invasion of Portugal, Forjaz consistently supported Wellington (and Charles Stuart, minister in Lisbon) in the development and implementation of the “defensive plan”, often against strong opposition from other members of the regency council. He was described by Wellington, who does not lavish praise I think, as the ablest Portuguese statesman of his time (perhaps even in both Portugal and Spain). If two men were of the utmost importance to Wellington in ensuring his plan could be implemented it was Forjaz and Beresford. Neither, as far as I could see from skimming the programme, will be featured in the commemorations. If this is the case, I think it will be a great shame.

Gradgrind I hope I am not, but I would like to see some factual and relevant materials to be discussed.

Best wishes

Anthony

Messages In This Thread

Lines of Torres Vedras - commemorations *LINK*
Re: Lines of Torres Vedras - commemorations
Re: Lines of Torres Vedras - commemorations
Re: Lines of Torres Vedras - commemorations *LINK*
O grande objectivo em Portugal (1810)
Re: O grande objectivo em Portugal (1810)
The greatest objective for Portugal (1810)
Re: The greatest objective for Portugal (1810)
The great object in Portugal (1809)
Re: The great object in Portugal (1809)
Is the "common cause" lost?
Re: Is the "common cause" lost?
Commemorating the "common cause" 1810 - 2010
Re: Commemorating the "common cause" 1810 - 2010 *LINK*
Re: Commemorating the "common cause" 1810 - 2010
Fact or Fiction?
Re: Fact or Fiction?
Construction of the Lines of Torres Vedras
Re: The Lines of Torres Vedras blogspot *LINK*
Re: Lines of Torres Vedras exhibition *LINK*