Napoleon Series Archive 2018

Re: Flank protection by seniority?
In Response To: Flank protection by seniority? ()

Interesting spot Paul. I have not seen this suggested before. As I understand it the converged battalions of light and grenadier companies would be outside of the normal precedence, so that would fit. The biggest argument that I can see against it is that strict precedence would have seen the 1st Guards at St Michelsgestel on the right with the 33rd Foot at Erp on the left, perhaps. Morris of the Guards Grenadier battalion says that his battalion and the 89th Foot (the junior battalion in the 1st Brigade) were at StMG for the day on the 13th. He also implies that the Coldstreams were already at Erp before the Abercromby's began his operation. He describes the Coldstreams as "on piquet" at Erp. I think the 12th Foot were actually at StMG to support the Hessians who had had a rough time on the 14th. The 12th in turn had a rough time with two of their officers facing courtmartials for cowardice.

I am currently working on Lincelles and the Guards brigade ended up there, according to Lake, because they were the "first turn boys", so maybe this offers an alternative explanation.

So in summary I think what you have seen is probably coincidental but it is a great question - it will be interesting to see what others say.

Thanks

Garry

Messages In This Thread

Wellington's First Battle-Order of Battle
Re: Wellington's First Battle-Order of Battle
Re: Wellington's First Battle-Order of Battle *LINK*