Napoleon Series Archive 2018

Re: Flank protection by seniority?

Hello John

You make some interesting points about the lack of major generals with the Duke of York - it is certainly a topic worthy of more research. I am not sure I buy the administrative only role you refer to for the battalion commanders leading brigades by seniority. The brigades could be in action at any time and normal seniority rules would surely apply. Wellington himself said that from October to January on the Waal he only saw David Dundas once.

Regarding Boxtel, Sherbrooke was apparently keen to emphasise his role as commander of the 33rd while Wesley was in command of the brigade, if we are to believe the account dictated to his daughter in law in 1830.

For the 44th Foot, I have seen a transcript of a so far unpublished letter from Sgt Major William Roworth who describes how his brigade marched with Abercromby on the night of the 14th/15th, significantly he also describes the positions held by the French infantry, which implies that the 44th weren't simply guarding the route back to Berlicum.

This is all thin gruel, but my conclusion is that that Abercromby took the bulk of the 3rd Brigade with him. Frankly for Abercromby to consider attacking the main body of the French army, which was headquartered at Boxtel, with only three quarters of the Guards brigade, beggars belief and inherent military probability.

All the best

Garry

Messages In This Thread

Wellington's First Battle-Order of Battle
Re: Wellington's First Battle-Order of Battle
Re: Wellington's First Battle-Order of Battle *LINK*