Napoleon Series Archive 2018

Re: Napoleon to Marmont
In Response To: Re: Napoleon to Marmont ()

Susan, thoughtful as always, but the quote does not originate in Marmont's Memoirs (at least not in that section).

Here is what Dunn–Pattison quotes (Dunn–Pattison, Napoleon’s Marshals, 1909, p. 210):

For the Emperor, angry doubtless at the escape of the Austrians, told him. “I have given you your nomination and I have the pleasure in bestowing on you this proof of my affection, but I am afraid I have incurred the reproach of listening rather to my affection than to your right to this distinction. You have plenty of intelligence, but there are needed for war qualities in which you are still lacking, and which you must work to acquire. Between ourselves, you have not done enough to justify entirely my choice. At the same time, I am confident that I shall have reason to congratulate myself on having nominated you and that you will justify me in the eyes of the army.”

https://books.google.co.th/books?id=Fr5IMlTVxaUC&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:47WMIEt769EC&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjBydnpm9HjAhXLLo8KHRUpB64Q6AEINjAC#v=onepage&q&f=false

Messages In This Thread

Napoleon to Marmont