Napoleon Series Archive 2011

Re: Albuera - British converged light companies

Guy,

I presume you mean brigade basis, not battalion basis.

This is of course exactly what Wellington's General orders said should happen. I think the 4th Division light battalion structure at Albuera was unusual because the three light companys of Kemmis' brigade had become separated from the rest of the brigade and therefore joined up with the Fusilier brigade light battalion (which several accounts show was commanded by Major Thomas Pearson of 23rd Royal Welch Fusiliers).

The 3rd Division also used a Divisional Light battalion structure, but they had the unusual situation of having the battalion HQ plus three companies of 5/60th in one of their brigades so Lieutenant Colonel Williams of 5/60th commanded all the light companies of the Division at both Fuentes de Onoro and Salamanca.

It is good to have confirmation that Abercrombie's brigade had a separate light battalion commanded by Captain Carthew at Albuera. If they did then it seems certain that the other two brigades of the division would have also done so. The question then is where were these light battalions deployed as the 2nd Division advanced. Logic would have put them initially in front of their brigades but then forming on a flank as the brigade became involved in a firefight, but no plan I have seen of the 2nd Division layout at Albuera shows them at all.
Rod.

Messages In This Thread

Albuera - British converged light companies