Napoleon Series Archive 2011

Re: Albuera - British converged light companies

Dave,

Wellington's General Orders, quoted earlier in the thread, state that the light battalions will operate to the front, rear etc as required (by the tactical situation). By creating a small light battalion in each British Brigade, Wellington had made those Brigades tactical Orbat of 3 or 4 line battalions plus a small light battalion very similar to the Portuguese Brigade standard structure of 4 line battalions and a Cacadores battalion.

I do not think they would ever have incorporated the Cacadores battalion into a British Light battalion. Tactically it would make sense to have two or three light battalions per Division.

I suspect that an Anglo-Portugese Division would operate with one light battalion out in front and one on each flank, but this would of course depend on the tactical situation.

The 3rd Division formed all the light companies from both of its British Brigades into a single light battalion, including the three 5/60th companies and this was cammanded by the CO of 5/60th (the rest of his companies being detached to other Brigades). At Salamanca I think they advanced with one light battalion on the left flank (the side the French were on) and one ahead of the Division, with the leading one moving off to the right flank as the leading brigade (Wallace's) wheeled to their left then attacked.

Rod

Messages In This Thread

Albuera - British converged light companies