Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: National Guards 1815
In Response To: Re: National Guards 1815 ()

David, thank you getting me straightened out on the subtleties of 2nd Military District vs 2nd National Guards Division. Your explanation makes great sense.

I do have an interest in the 1815 campaign. It seems to me that there were several missed opportunities on both sides throughout the week. Could Ney have taken the crossroads if he was placed in charge of the left wing one or two days earlier? He might have been able to close up his corps and not have them strung out over several miles. Would he have been able to defeat the Anglo-Allied army in detail as they came west from Nevilles? Which direction would the Prussians have retreated if D'Erlon's force was able to come up on the French left as Napoleon desired? Where would the next battle between Grouchy and the Prussian III and IV Corps have taken place, if at all? Would Kleist's corps figure in that fighting? If Wellington could not count on Prussian reinforcement, where would he have made his stand? Would he have retreated on Hal to Antwerp as David Hamilton-Williams claims, or would he have acted more offensively? He did outnumber the French at Waterloo. I'm not trying to start an argument, I just spend a lot of time thinking these things (I'm a 'thinker of deep thoughts' like Dorothy's Scarecrow).

Dave

Messages In This Thread

National Guards 1815