Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: National Guards 1815
In Response To: Re: National Guards 1815 ()

David and Ron,

RE: The 20,000 regulars that formed the garrison of Paris prior to June 18th.

Just to comment on the above, I personally am very doubtful of such a force existing. The infantry element of the garrison of Paris, as far as I can tell, was set out to be composed of 24 battalions of Federes and 24 battalions of NG's from the west (still organising in late June - see Nafziger). These may well have been joined by some pensioner battalions and veteran companies that actually were there - if any were there! (They are even more of a nightmare to locate than the regulars!)

I have never come across any designs for regular infantry to garrison that city unless, 1) instead of a premptive strike, Napoleon instead opted to fortify Paris and let the allies invade or 2) as had happened, to withdraw his main army to Paris in the light of a defeat in the north hoping to reinforce it with Rapp and Lamarque's men.

Does anyone know where this 20,000 figure came from? Perhaps it just meant the above irregulars?

The 105 regular line/light regiments were distributed to the various armies and to the Vendee, and the foreign regiments (bar the second Swiss) were still organising in their depots, most of which (if not all) being located outside of Paris - see Nafziger. There were 40 or so battalions of infantry of the marines that even Houssaye had trouble tracing information about. However he supposed that those raised may have had a combined strength of about 10,000 - IIRC! However not all of these were in Paris - if any were! I know artillery companies of the marines had been sent to Paris but I am not so sure about the infantry. However I am sure that Hofschroer hinted towards the sending of the marines to Paris, again IIRC.

The only way I personally can believe that such a number (20,000 or near enough) of regular infantry were in Paris already, before the retreat, is if there were infantry battalions organising (3rd & 4th battalions and possibly 5th depot battalions), whose regimental depots were in that city already, besides some marines which would count as regulars also.

Of course I could be completely wrong. If either of you (or anyone else) happens to know any different please let me know. :-)

Dean

P.S. I fully agree with the other statements in this thread that the armed forces on all sides and all theatres (NG's etc) need looking in to in much greater detail as readily available info is pretty scarce!

Messages In This Thread

National Guards 1815