Napoleon Series Archive 2013

L'affaire Bernadotte

The purpose of this post is not to argue for or against Bernadotte’s culpability, but merely to bring forth some facts that haven’t been previously mentioned. I offer it in the spirit of scholarly debate. I hope my post does not unduly prolong the threads on this topic.

I think that Bernadotte was neither entirely to be blamed nor entirely blameless for Davout being left in the lurch. I am undecided on whether B deserves all the criticism he got.

I agree that the crucial Oct 13 order is equivocal. Likewise, once Bernadotte decided to march on Apolda via Dornburg, I think that case has been made that fog & the Dornburg defile account for his slow progress. The Camburg defile was apparently even worse than the Dornburg defile.

That said, it is far from clear that B was faultless. Contemporary opinion in the army was that Bernadotte should have supported Davout but did not. N apparently ordered papers prepared for B’s court martial but when presented to him for his signature, he reconsidered and tore them up. All of this may not be definitive but it counts for something.

I chose to summarize Charrier in my previous post because his is one of the more even-handed discussions of “L’affaire Bernadotte.” Titeux, though useful in presenting facts, I find off-putting in his interpretation of the facts. In my view his article reads like a legal brief for Bernadotte’s defense, rather than a dispassionate weighing of the facts.

Here are some additional facts for your consideration. I look forward to your comments.

1. The meeting between Davout & Bernadotte, Oct 14, 3 am

What transpired at this meeting? The 3d Corps Journal d’operations (quoted by Titeux) is laconic: They met. Davout inquired what Bernadotte would do. He replied that he would go to Dornburg.

It is possible that more occurred. Napoleon on St Helena wrote that that Bernadotte had refused to march with Davout to Apolda unless Bernadotte led the march with his I Corps. Davout refused because I Corps was behind III Corps and would need to march through it to get to the front.

See the Petre discussion here at p 173:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Dl5AAAAAYAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=editions:0-yg2sFPX3wC&hl=en&sa=X&ei=wiKxUpHIEKy2sAT7moHwBw&ved=0CDwQ6AEwAw#v=onepage&q=173&f=false

Why would Davout have wanted B to march with him? That requires exploring what Davout knew when he met with B:

a. Davout’s State of Mind

Titeux states that on the 13th Davout did not know he was facing a large force commanded by the Prussian King. This is correct. But Davout did know during the 13th that his vedettes had been attacked some distance in front of Kosen. He did not know the size of the force. Napoleon’s dispatch, however, informed him that the main Prussian army was near Jena.

Could Davout then safely assume that the force attacking his vedettes was not a threat? Unlikely -- There were many unknowns and the situation was fluid. Murat had taken back Sahuc’s dragoon division and departed for Dornburg.

Gely who was on Davout’s staff gives us some insight into Davout’s state of mind. He relates that Davout was uneasy: he had no information on the Prussian corps opposing him & in case of unforeseen events his retreat via the Saale defiles would be perilous. See Gely’s recit here at p 16
:
http://books.google.com/books?id=_UpBAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=gley+voyage+en+allemagne&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yC2xUoHmHu3lsATioIDgDw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=gley%20voyage%20en%20allemagne&f=false

Hence, it is possible that Davout would have preferred Bernadotte to march with him.

2. Dupont’s Alleged Desire to support Davout

Titeux claims that there is no evidence in Dupont’s writings to support the assertion that Dupont wanted to march to Davout’s aid.

This may technically be correct, however, that part of Dupont’s Journal de marche quoted by Titeux indicates that something occurred at Camburg.
The Journal says at 6 am a strong cannonade was heard on the division’s right. The next paragraph of the Journal states that Dupont made some preparations to cross at Camburg. The time isn’t given but was likely around 9-10 am as that’s when Dupont’s division reached Camburg. What caused Dupont to make those preparations? We don’t know but it’s possible that he wanted to be in a position to support Davout.

3. Messengers sent by Davout asking for Support

Titeux says that there is no documentary evidence that Davout sent any requests for help to Bernadotte. He asserts that if messengers had been sent there would be some record of it; hence, he concludes no messengers were sent.

Charrier at pp 205 & 206 has a lengthy footnote discussing this question. He cites several sources indicating that more than one messenger was sent:

Segur: 10 am Davout sends messenger (identified elsewhere as Romeuf) who finds Bernadotte at Camburg: It’s in vol 1 of which I can only find the English translation here:
http://books.google.com/books?id=LVBOGyVtL68C&printsec=frontcover&dq=segur+aide+de+camp&hl=en&sa=X&ei=zyexUo67MNLJsQTcyYBA&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=segur%20aide%20de%20camp&f=false

Gley (on Davout’s staff): p 16:

http://books.google.com/books?id=_UpBAAAAcAAJ&printsec=frontcover&dq=gley+voyage+en+allemagne&hl=en&sa=X&ei=yC2xUoHmHu3lsATioIDgDw&ved=0CC0Q6AEwAA#v=onepage&q=gley%20voyage%20en%20allemagne&f=false

Trobriand:

Charrier’s footnote discusses Trobriand’s report in detail (the report is reproduced in Foucart’s Campagne de Prusse). The report indicates that Trobriand reached B about 4:30 and that Davout was requesting B’s aid in pursuing a defeated enemy. According to Trobriand B gave an insulting reply (I am there; have no fear)

4. Murat’s Command Interleaved with I Corps; B takes command of Murat’s dragoons

Both Murat & B’s corps marched to Dornburg on the night of Oct 13/14. Normally each corps would march separately. However, part of Murat’s cavalry corps marched ahead of B’s I Corps & part (Sahuc‘s dragoon division) marched behind it. Beaumont’s dragoon division apparently marched ahead of I Corps as that division is said to have delayed the I Corps passage of the Dornburg defile. B apparently B gave orders to two of Murat’s divisions (Beaumont & Sahuc). Why he did so isn’t clear. Murat was not present; he rode to Jena at N’s command. Perhaps because Murat did not tell the divisions what to do once they arrived at Dornburg B undertook to do so.

I note that Savary says, despite Davout’s pleas, Bernadotte stopped cavalry from joining Davout: see Petre’s discussion here in the footnote:

http://books.google.com/books?id=Dl5AAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA150&lpg=PA150&dq=sahuc+davout&source=bl&ots=EGwh-tn8_M&sig=wPtCqlWpB-zZFnXHEGuNjqB_w_8&hl=en&sa=X&ei=-CSxUr_HB-fJsQTRnIDQCg&ved=0CEQQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=sahuc%20davout&f=false

Johnw

Messages In This Thread

L'affaire Bernadotte
Re: L'affaire Bernadotte