Napoleon Series Archive 2013

Re: L'affaire Bernadotte
In Response To: Re: L'affaire Bernadotte ()

frank, see my responses below:

I'm sorry but I do not see what bearing "Davout's state of mind" has on anything Bernadotte may have done or not done?

I included Glevy's comments on Davout's state of mind to support the view that D might have asked B to march with him rather than to go to Dornburg.

The other questions I raised in my reply do not appear to have been addressed yet - whence Segur obtained his very dramatic account of a Davout's pleading with Bernadotte, Gley's (frankly unbelievable) allegation that Bernadotte's reports to headquarters claimed most of the credit for the victory, Davout's "plusiers" requests for help from Bernadotte all of which apparently disappeared into the void, Petre's uncritical acceptance of Savary ... ?

Segur does not give the source of his account. Charrier does say that later Romeuf went to Nap's HQ to bring news of D's victory so Segur might have got it from Romeuf but that's purely speculative.

As for Gley's "plusieurs" requests, he was present at Auerstadt on D's staff so he would possibly have personal knowledge of these requests.If one of the requests was via Romeuf then this one did not disappear into the void.

I don't know why Petre accepted Savary's version.

Johnw

Messages In This Thread

L'affaire Bernadotte