Napoleon Series Archive 2007

Wives, wigs and queues

I believe the order to cut queues was dated July 1808 but I am going from memory so don't quote me. From the memoir of Thomas Browne, there is enough information to ascertain fairly accurately that the 1/23rd cut their queues while stationed in Halifax in April 1809 after they had returned from the Martinique campaign. Of course the officers retained the ribbons which had formerly tied the queue and put them on the backs of their collars in the form of a "flash" of ribbons which is how the Royal Welch Fusilier flash originated.

I know nothing about when officers stopped wearing powdered wigs. I beleive that by the 1790s, wigs went out in favour of natural hair which was "dressed" and then powdered.

The Thorpe memoir referred to is NARRATIVE OF INCIDENTS IN THE EARLY LIFE OF THE LATE SAMUEL THORPE (London, 1854).

I do not know how many wives and children accompanied the troops that sailed directly from Britain to Corunna under Baird. That information can most likely be found in WO 25 at the National Archives of Britain or using ships' muster list for passengers receiving rations only which, if they were on naval ships, would be in Adm 36 to 39 or, on private ships, at the National Maritime Museum in Greenwich. I would suspect that there were 6 wives per company and, as I remarked, for each wife there was usually 1.5 children in my experience so 60 wives and 90 children per battalion.

The statement on wives being left behind at the Walcheren expedition comes from Rifleman Harris of which there are many different editions. Mine happens to be that edited by Christopher Hibbert but I cannot lay my hands on at the moment. I did make some notes from it and looking at them just now I see that he did not say the wives were not permitted on the Walcheren but only that their number was severely curtailed from the Corruna expedition (can't trust memory).

He writes that "the distraction of the poor creatures at parting with their husbands was quite heart-rending; some of them clung to the men so resolutely, that the officers were obliged to give orders to have them separated by force. In fact, even after we were in the boats and justly pushed off, the screaming and howling of their farewells rang in our ears far out at sea."

DE Graves

Messages In This Thread

Inniskillings: more questions than answers?
Re: Inniskillings: more questions than answers?
Economic activity, inactivity and level of income
Re: Economic activity, inactivity and level of inc
Employment and birth place of recruits
Re: Employment and birth place of recruits
The Peer
Re: The Peer
Re: The Peer
Re: Soldiers' backgrounds
Re: French Soldiers' backgrounds
Re: French Soldiers' backgrounds - indirect figure
Re: French Soldiers' backgrounds - indirect figure
Translation of agriculteur - peasant or farmer?
Useful, perhaps - but no answer to my queries *NM*
British soldiers' wives & families
Re: British soldiers' wives & families
Military recruitment, women and the poor law
Re: Military recruitment, women and the poor law
Re: Military recruitment, women and the poor law
Is there a restriction on length of response? *NM*
Re: Is there a restriction on length of response?
Wives, wigs and queues
Re: Wives, wigs and queues
Re: Powdered hair & queues
2nd Battalion - The Royal Welsh