Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: Holland
In Response To: Re: Holland ()

The exact extent of the holdings of the domaine extrordinaire are a complete mystery to me. I have raised the subject before and the universal response for information has also been: ??? Perhaps you know already?
To say that the confiscation of these estates and cash sources by N and his clan did not affect the populace of the states (like Westphalia) is incorrect.
If N had left those estates and their incomes to the new state (Westphalia) the budget of that state would have benefited, not N.
I have no way of quantifying the size of these accounts except by going through Six and adding them up. I don`t have the time or inclination.
There is also no really reliable way to know how much N`s generals squeezed out of Spain and Portugal; we do know that Junot looted quite an impressive hoard from his brief stay in Portugal. Others of his fellows were pretty active too.
I do know that the Westphalian state budget was extremely limited, so much so, that N wrote on that topic to Jerome, reminding him that he (J) `had no money`. N knew this, because he was milking the place dry.
N had no monopoly on greed; it`s just that his fans deny that his saintly fingers ever entered any till in Europe.
You may well be right that the upgrading of the defences of the old state of Holland drained the exchequer in Paris a bit in 1810, but it was N who ordered the expenditure and it was an imperial need, met from imperial funds. The Dutch seem to have been comfortable with a porous sea front through which large amounts of contraband colonial goods flowed - and before you ask, I have no idea of the volume or value, but it must have been hurting N and his Continental System, as he invaded Russia in 1812 to try to stop it.
It is refreshing to have financial aspects of the topic being explained - as long as nice short words are used.

Messages In This Thread

N`s Satellites and Profit
Re: N`s Satellites and Profit