Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: Holland
In Response To: Re: Holland ()

The problem lies in the term "milking". An assertion that the satelite states were used to bring revenues into the imperial coffers seems to me to be a bit off the mark. More to the point, the entire economies of the satellites were converted to support the broader imperial efforts. There may well have been cash flow from Paris into the satellite states, but my suspicion is that all cash flowing into these states was spent on enforcement of the continental system and supplying troops for the empire - in a cause that was often directly contrary to local interests and for the benefit of France. Add to this the local revenues were also being used to support imperial policies and I would expect to find that more was being spent for the benefit of France than for the benefit of the satellite kingdom, though I'm sure some individuals managed to make a profit.

So in looking at milking, cash flow is part of it, but how much of the financial and material resources of the satellite states were were being used for the benefit of France with the consequence of impoverishing the local ecomony? Surely milking involves manpower and material resources in addition to cash? For example, billeting French troops outside of France and forcing the satellite states to pay for their upkeep.

Just some thoughts, maybe reconciling the perception of "milking" with the cash flow stats.

Messages In This Thread

N`s Satellites and Profit
Re: N`s Satellites and Profit