Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: Holland
In Response To: Re: Holland ()

"I would be surprised if the inhabitants of any country have welcomed occupation by foreign troops," "over-paid, over-sexed and over here"
That's an amusing quip - but in the case of its actual application, I imagine the British were really rather happy to have the USA in the war on their side. Right ? Maybe the French were equally happy to have them in their country, aiding in its liberation it from the fascists ? Or are we so annoying that air raids and gestapo are more welcome than Yankee soldiers ? If so, please return the body of my uncle - he wasted his time dying at Normandy.

If, setting the quips aside, there are cases where foreign troops are liberators, where their action benefits the local people, how do we know which people welcomed inclusion in the French Empire and which didnt (outside of Iberia, where the fighting never stopped long enough to install any form of regular imperial government) ? Who are conquerors and who are liberators ? No public opinon polls, no referenda. On the other hand, very very little in the way of popular resistance.

Prussia was a country that started, waged and lost a war with the French Empire. And no one sought the consent of the governed Prussians to get them into that losing war. I suppose the Japanese didnt like the Americans showing up as much as the French did (or maybe they did ?), but what exactly are you supposed to do after you defeat a rival power ? Go home real fast and let them get ready for another round ? Or set up a military occupation ?

What evidence do you have that inclusion in the French Empire was not welcomed by a majority of Dutch, "German", Italian, etc. people who became a part of it ? Are you making an assumption, are you re-telling propaganda, or do you have any information about the preferences of these people - people who never voted, and who mostly left nothing of their thoughts to history for lack of literacy ? Absent such information, are you not just saying "N is bad", but with more elaborate phrasing ?

Messages In This Thread

N`s Satellites and Profit
Re: N`s Satellites and Profit