Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: Holland
In Response To: Re: Holland ()

Evan and Digby,

I would like to get a sense of proportion if possible. Is there some number such as a GDP for Westphalia for each of the years of its existence? As I understand it, the money associated with the funds granted to various people were of two natures: one-time gifts and incomes (though I may have that wrong). It should be possible to find or calculate an aggregate amount for both types and correlate them to GDP or equivalent.

Were there also not incomes associated with the "Italian" titles - ducs de Belluno, Dalmatia et cetera? If so, can we not compare such funds and their proportions versus GDP between Westphalia, Italy and anywhere else?

Next would it be possible to compare such cash outflows from Westphalia et al versus similar cash flows paid on French assets, both as actual value and as percentage of GDP or equivalent?

Then would it be possible to consider the relative cost of the military in each state, perhaps as a percentage of GDP or euqivalent?

If Westphalia and other occupied areas were carrying a disproportionate burden of the common cost of the Empire (whether they wished to be in it is a subject for another thread), then it should be possible to demonstrate so on some basis such as per capita cost or percent of GDP. If places like Westphalia were being milked, then it should be demonstrable. Also Westphalia always comes up as the example, but was Westphalia any worse handled than Berg or Piedmont? It looks like this subject is crying out for some thorough analysis.

I have no interest in taking sides in this debate. I just want some hard numbers, without which the opinions don't really mean much. I have often wondered at these incomes, but don't know if they are a drop in the bucket or not.

Regards,

David

Messages In This Thread

N`s Satellites and Profit
Re: N`s Satellites and Profit