Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: Holland
In Response To: Re: Holland ()

I am not an account.

The un-sourced accusation was made by Digby that Westphalia was systematically pillaged by Napoléon. When asked for any indication of this, he pointed to a couple of dotations and said "look they got Westphaila's money".
I made the comment only that such payments were common and typical - and indeed existed in exactly the same way before and after the Napoleonic period - only the office-holders changed.

Now, we come to your critique. You accuse the office-holders of being (i) French (not local) and (ii) spending thier government incomes not in local country but in France. Are you claiming that this was in some sense an Imperial policy designed to export value from, for example, Westphalia ? I suppose you are so claiming, since if you were not, how can you place this comment as a critique against the Imperial régime ?

If such is your claim, please provide :
- any indication that there was such an imperial policy with such an intent, outside of your own personal imagination
- a list of recipients under the Empire of incomes drawn on a particular area, such as Westphalia, indicating their place of residence (I think you will quickly note that the majority had civil jobs in .... Westphalia !)
- a list of Westphalians with incomes drawn on other locations under the Empire (not likely too many, but perhaps a few officers)
- the list of prior (or subsequent) Westphalian income recipients and their places of residence

I have no reason to believe such a policy for exportation of value from states such as Westphalia was part of the imperial dotation rewards system. Further, I have no reason to believe that under the Empire this system actually caused any difference in the amount of money spent in the Westphalian economy. Indeed, with a more complete set of government functions and functionaries as recipients (as opposed to nobles and regnal family memebers - who might live .... in Paris !) , I think it likely caused more spending in Westphalia.

In any case, can we please move beyond supposition and accusation based on bias and prejudice, and instead and look at some facts ? If you think that the Imperial regime exported value from Westphalia, please provide the evidence of such. I am most happy to be shown these details, if they exist.

Messages In This Thread

N`s Satellites and Profit
Re: N`s Satellites and Profit