Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: Holland
In Response To: Re: Holland ()

"Maybe Mollien is not the best source concerning the Hollanders."
Yes, likely so, especially to gain a real understanding of the issues in Holland.
I was respondng to the question : did the Empire take cash from Holland or use cash there.

"the rest was Dutch debt accumulated mostly in the period before the annexation of 1810"
Yes, I tried to make it clear that the French Empire merely serviced the debt 1810-1814, and surely did not eliminate it.

"ruined during the revolutionary wars when they had to equip and re-equip all the French troops that passed trough Holland"
Yes - but of course before the Empire, and so not the question that was beng posed about Napoléon's policies.

"the loss of the banking trade with GB"
I did mention this - the Imperial system benefitted those whose business was similar to the typical ones in France (agriculture, natural resource extraction, government infrastructure and military constructors) and hurt those whose business was relaed to the British economic model (traders, shipping/logistics, banking, insurance, commerical goods manufacture).

"the Berlin decree of 1810 when immense stocks of contraband were seized and destroyed."
Yes, counting both pure contreband and tax-evaded colonial imports, a total of 100 million francs, as I noted. Very difficult blow to the economy in Holland. It makes one think of modern situations where illegal activity, typically narco-traffiking, is a large part of a nation's economy. When you enforce the law, the economy suffers greatly.

Messages In This Thread

N`s Satellites and Profit
Re: N`s Satellites and Profit