Napoleon Series Archive 2008

Re: Ney's description
In Response To: Re: Ney's description ()

Ralph:

Thank you for the explanation, particularly the diagrams. Excellent, thank you. Most of it is perfectly clear. I can see where my confusion lay. It involves the starting point of Ney's instruction. He says:

"With four regiments to be deployed when the commanding general wants to form two lines,..."

He doesn't say 'in a particular situation' or 'from a particular formation'. He doesn't even say this is one way to do it. He simply says "With four regiments to be deployed ... to form two lines,..." as though this is THE way to do it. I have yet to find another 'way' being presented in his work. [Which isn't saying a whole lot as I am scanning the French...]

Ney then says:

"...to put the odd battalions in the first one and the even battalions in second, he will form the closed columns by regiment, right in front; on the 4th division of the odd battalions, he will bring up the masses to battalion distance on the 2nd regiment, and then deploy on the division with the colour of every battalion."

There are two confusing things here: 1. He says to form closed columns, but not from what kind of formation, so I am assuming that it is a 'universal' suggestion and not determined by the starting formation. He then says "he will form the closed columns by regiment, right in front; on the 4th division of the odd battalions." This strikes me as odd, in that how else would you form a column by regiment [if they are two battalions front to back], right in front, but by the even battalions forming on the 4th division of the odd battalions? If column by regiment is a standard formation, why give this instruction? It is like pointing out to officiers that they must to have a two company front for columns by division. It also is obvious from his reference to divisions that Ney assumes the battalions have a divisional front.

And 2.if the two battalions of a regiment are in a single closed column 'by regiment', when the two battalions form line using Ney's instructions, the second line will end up 30 or less yards behind the first, depending on whether Ney is referring to six or nine company battalions.

While I can imagine reasons for each of these things to appear in Ney's work, together they confused me.

Thanks again for the explanation. I definitely helped.

Best Regards,

Bill H.

Messages In This Thread

Re: A French Formation description Art?
paint me stupid...
Re: paint me stupid...
From Journal des sciences militaires 1832 *LINK*
Re: From Journal des sciences militaires 1832
Ney's description
Re: Ney's description *LINK*
Difference
Maransin
Re: Maransin
Re: Difference
Attack columns *LINK*
Re: Attack columns
Re: Attack columns
understanding the term of....
Understanding Ney's Military Studies
Re: Understanding Ney's Military Studies
And Jomini Says ....
Re: And Jomini Says ....
Military studies: ... for the use of his officers.
Mémoires du Maréchal Ney/Memoirs of Marshal Ney.
Context Matters
Context is everything...
Re: Context is everything...
Re: Context is everything... :-) *NM*
Morand's Comment on Columns *LINK*
change of front
Re: change of front