Napoleon Series Archive 2013

Re: Bernadotte's Leadership Failure

‘>Because you are long on conclusions and really short on evidence.’<

You are incorrect here. The evidence I’ve given supports my position and conclusions.

>‘Please look at Napoleon's comments. A 'false march' was a poor one, but that doesn't equal the expectation he 'should have' supported Davout. That conclusion also contradicts his other statements clearly stating his expectation that Bernadotte was supposed to be in Dornburg.’ <

Where did you get your ‘interpretation’ of what a ‘false march’ was/is? Seems to me a false march is one which accomplishes nothing, which was what Bernadotte’s move to Durnburg and then Apolda. And, again, Napoleon wrote to Bernadotte after the 14th that he had ordered him to march with Davout not in the supposedly obedience of an old order that was no longer of any consequence. The ‘orders are orders’ defense of Bernadotte doesn’t really cut it.

Kevin:
False as in failed march, a march that didn’t accomplish what it was supposed to, not being where he was supposed to be. “Seems to me a false march is one which accomplishes nothing.” That is what I said, though you implied it meant something else from my reading of your last post. Napoleon didn’t order him to march north and east on the 14th with Davout. Davout orders didn’t require Bernadotte to march north away from what was understood to be the main Prussian army. Bernadotte’s last direct order had been to march to Dornburg in support of Murat who was in Dornburg. The orders Davout received assumed he AND Bernadotte were marching south to Apolda, which was also in the same direction as Dornburg. So, IF Davout had marched south as ordered, Bernadotte “could” as you translated, march with him.

And the evidence that I’ve seen and supplied points to the fact of a deliberate disobedience of orders, which Berthier was quite clear in his note to Davout on the 13th. That can be ‘interpreted’ as a suggestion, but in my experience, if a superior ‘suggest’ something, then you do it as it is in actuality an order.

This has been the center of the issue: Nothing, absolutely nothing in the evidence you have provided leads in any way, shape or form supports that conclusion. As noted above, that ‘suggestion’ assumed that Davout was marching south to Apolda, not north as away from what was understood as the main action.

There were 7 infantry corps in the French army. For Bernadotte to join Davout in a march away from the main army with two corps, 28% of Napoleon’s army, seems to me bad strategy on any level. That an order to Davout should be construed as a direct order to Benadotte is ludicrous. If it had been seen that way, Davout would never have asked Bernadotte what he was going to do. It would have been clear, if interpreted as you do. The situation of their corps, their understanding of the strategic situation at the time, the orders they did have, all make it clear what ‘should’ have been done.

1. There was no direct order for Bernadotte with Davout’s orders. Davout’s actions support this, with his question and later absence of any accusations of ‘abandonment.’ His direct orders were for Bernadotte to march to Dornburg, which he did badly.

2. Napoleon didn’t fault Bernadotte for not marching with Davout. He faulted him for his ‘false march’, failing to arrive in Dornburg and failing to come into action.

3. There is no evidence that any of the officers from Napoleon down thought Bernadotte ‘abandoned’ Davout, or is there any suggestion that the ‘obvious’ military response would have been to support Davout.

"And the evidence that I’ve seen and supplied points to the fact of a deliberate disobedience of orders,

That has been the crux of the discussion and still your interpretation is based on no evidence, either contemporary or from the strategic situation as they understood it, or from the custom or norms you suggest required Benadotte to follow Davout.

And yes, this is the Talavera game all over again. You make a conclusion and then denouce or dance around all the evidence countering that conclusion while insisting--with no evidence supporting it--that your conclusion is correct.

From what I can see, any marchal in Benadotte’s place--at the time--would have made a similar decision, though they would have probably carried it out with better results. Regardless, there is no evidence that Bernadotte purposely ‘abandoned’ Davout when he ‘should’ have marched north east with him.

Bill

Messages In This Thread

Re: For A Correct View Of Bernadotte At Jena, See
Bernadotte's Leadership Failure